I have a old commercial refrigerator that I’ve been using as a beer fridge for a while now and it recently stopped cooling.
It’s a True GEM-12 and after doing some research the thing may be pretty close to 23 years old – So my hopes of fixing it are relatively low but I figured I’d at least try.
I’ve done a bit of tinkering and troubleshooting and here is what I’ve done:
- I can hear the compressor turn on when I plug the refrigerator in.
- The compressor is warm, but not hot, to the touch after it has been running a while.
- I can hear the compressor shut off when I move the temperature control to off (0).
- I can hear the compressor turn on when I move the temperature control back on.
- The coils are clean – I’ve vacuumed them several times.
- Both the fan cooling the coil and the fan pushing air into the refrigerator are running.
- The condensation hose is free of clogs.
Any advice or ideas on what to do next besides throw it away?
Source: New feed